Wind power is one of the fastest growing sources of energy in the world, rivaled only by solar energy. Using massive turbines designed specifically for ultra-efficiency, wind farms are able to turn a passing breeze into power for our homes, businesses and vehicles.
Don‘t believe it? Here are some stunning wind energy facts from the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC):
- There were 225,000 wind turbines spinning around the world at the end of 2012.
- One 6 MW offshore wind turbine can power 5,500 average-sized EU homes.
- 30 percent of Denmark’s electricity consumption was covered by wind energy in 2012. The Danish government aims to get 50 percent of its electricity from wind by 2020 and 100 percent from renewable energy by 2050.
- By 2020, the wind power sector is expected to employ 520,000 people in the EU. By 2030, the figure will be 794,079, with 62 percent of jobs in the offshore wind sector.
- Today, American wind farms generate enough electricity to power more than 11 million homes, and provide manufacturing, construction and operation jobs for at least 75,000 Americans.
As these statistics show, wind is more than just fresh air; It’s a revolution that’s helping us power our lives without the life-threatening pollution of fossil fuels. To celebrate, we’ve rounded up seven of the most impressive wind farms and wind turbine designs from around the world.